A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

Welcome back, my friends!  Happy Monday!
How was your weekend?  Today is the start of a new week and [HOPEFULLY] Evan and my last week at our little country cabin. . . Which means [HOPEFULLY] we will be moving in to our brand new duplex at Overland!  I can hardly wait!  I've already begun moving some things into the cabinets. . . ^_^

So, what is on your agenda for the week?  My days will be packed, I'm sure, but I'd love to hear your goals and plans!  Writing anything exciting?? Going somewhere new?  Trying a new recipe or two?  

Seriously, I've really missed the blogging world and once my world starts to settle down into its new normal, I hope to hop back in.  With that said, what would you like to read here on Plain & Average?  I hope to keep up my thorough book reviews, along with the Name and A+A posts.  But I'd also like to add one more post every week, whether its about life, new lessons I've learned, writing--I dunno.  Got any ideas?  What do you enjoy reading about on your favorite blogs?

In the meantime, my week begins with laundry and a Name post.  :]

-------------------------------

Ewan
M | Scottish
yoo-EN, EE-wan (possibly)

Anglicized form of Eoghan (pro. "O-in" or "YO-in"), which possibly means "born from the yew tree" in Irish, though it could be derived from Eugene meaning "well born." 











Stana
F | Czech, Serbian, Croatian
STAH-nah, sta-NAH (possibly)

Short form of Stanislava, and other Slav names beginning with stani, meaning "stand, become."

For fans of the TV show Castle (2009-2016), this is the given name of the Canadian-American actress who portrays homicide detective Kate Beckett. 

Darius
M | English, Lithuanian, Romanian, Biblical, Biblical Latin
dǝ-RIE-ǝs , DER-ee-ǝs, DAR-ee-ǝs (English)

Roman form of Dareios, which was the Greek form of the Persian name Dārayavahush, composed of two elements meaning "to possess" and "good."  This was the given name of three ancient kings of Persia, including Darius the Great, who expanded the Achaemenid Empire to its greatest extent.








Pari
F | Persian
PAR-ee

Means "fairy" in Persian.










Photos via Pinterest.
Names & Meanings via behindthename.com.


These posts, as I've mentioned before, are for your benefit.  :]  As a (wannabe) writer, I know how hard it is to find the PERFECT name for your character(s) and I have found it helps tremendously to know the meanings and even the history of names.  If you find yourself struggling, I hope these posts will aid you in writing your stories!  And if you need some recommendations for a character or two, or have a question on names (be it Russian, Biblical, Historical, etc), I'd be more than happy to help you as best I can.  Please don't hesitate to contact me!

Fairfarren, for now!
Sarah

Comments

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…