A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Rated, Not Reviewed

Good morrow, all!  How goes your week thus far? Mine has been lovely.  We've had rain and sunshine and gorgeous warm, almost-Spring days.  I can't wait till the new season arrives! 

Well, onward!  This here post is exactly what the title says.  I'm sharing a handful of some books I've read that, while I didn't have time to give a full review for each, they are still rated.  I saw this idea on another's blog and knew I would need to try it out.  This type of post will be for the awesome books (with a few not-so-awesome) that I wanted to review, but hadn't the time.  This way, you'll be able to see the ones I like and still find a recommendation or two.  So here goes.

------------------------------------------------

The Choosing
(Seer #1)
Rachelle Dekker

{GoodReads}
“Not to be Chosen would yield a cruel fate of my own making.”

Like all citizens since the Ruining, Carrington Hale knows the importance of this day. But she never expected the moment she’d spent a lifetime preparing for—her Choosing ceremony—would end in disaster. Ripped from her family, she’ll spend her days serving as a Lint, the lowest level of society. She knows it’s her duty to follow the true way of the Authority.

But as Carrington begins this nightmare, rumors of rebellion rattle her beliefs. The whispers contradict everything she’s been told; yet they resonate deep within.

Then Carrington is offered an unprecedented chance at the life she’s always dreamed of, but she can’t shake the feeling that it may be an illusion. With a killer targeting Lints and corruption threatening the highest levels of the Authority, Carrington must uncover the truth before it destroys her.
 

My Rating

Here's a new futuristic novel, and one by none other than Ted Dekker's daughter, Rachelle.  In this debut, we are introduced to a world run by a government that sits on the twisted laws of the Bible.  They may have begun in faith, but their views have been corrupted and their people oppressed.  You must choose to serve either the government's religion or that of the rebels.  Who is in the right? Choosing one will lead to a life resembling that of a privileged slave.  Choosing the other might lead to death, but also a freedom you couldn't find elsewhere.

A great start to a new series.  It's clean, with the exception of violence, and it's laced in the faith of Christ.  I loved it!  Would definitely recommend to any and all who love reading of the dystopian/futuristic stories.  (ages 16+)


------------------------------------------------
The Storybook of Legends
Every After High #1
Shannon Hale

{GoodReads}
At Ever After High, an enchanting boarding school, the children of fairytale legends prepare themselves to fulfill their destinies as the next generation of Snow Whites, Prince Charmings and Evil Queens...whether they want to or not. Each year on Legacy Day, students sign the Storybook of Legends to seal their scripted fates. For generations, the Village of Book End has whispered that refusing to sign means The End-both for a story and for a life.

As the daughter of the Evil Queen, Raven Queen's destiny is to follow in her mother's wicked footsteps, but evil is so not Raven's style. She's starting to wonder, what if she rewrote her own story? The royal Apple White, daughter of the Fairest of Them All, has a happy ever after planned for herself, but it depends upon Raven feeding her a poison apple in their future.

What if Raven doesn't sign the Storybook of Legends? It could mean a happily never after for them both. 
My Rating

This is such an adorable twist to the classic fairytales!  Each character is the offspring of a beloved fairytale and you join in on their adventure through high school as they learn to face the fate governed by their stories.  Or see what might happen if they choose to blaze their own trail and greet the unknown. . . 

Loved this one! And want to get my hands on the next.  I've enjoyed all of Shannon Hale's novels so far, and this was no exception.  A great read for any age! (ages 10-12+)


------------------------------------------------
Fairest
The Lunar Chronicles #3.5
Marissa Meyer

{GoodReads}
In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?


Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now. 

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.
My Rating

While it was eye-opening and a bit enlightening to finally learn Queen Levana's back-story and how she came to be who she is, I would refrain from recommending this novel.  Why?  Simply due to the immoral, mature, and graphic content.  It was definitely an interesting read and I admit, I found myself feeling pity, and perhaps a little sympathy for Levana.  However, I would warn you to be aware that there is some rather mature content mixed into these pages.  This is my personal opinion, but nonetheless, be warned.  (ages 18+)

I don't think I've ever reviewed any of the other series. . . Hopefully, those will be next on the list!  They are SO darn good.  I would definitely recommend them!


------------------------------------------------
Rules of Murder
A Drew Farthering Mystery #1
Julianna Deering

{GoodReads}
Drew Farthering loves a good mystery, although he generally expects to find it in the pages of a novel, not on the grounds of his country estate. When a weekend party at Farthering Place is ruined by murder and the police seem flummoxed, Drew decides to look into the crime himself. With the help of his best friend, Nick Dennison, an avid mystery reader, and Madeline Parker, a beautiful and whip-smart American debutante staying as a guest, the three try to solve the mystery as a lark, using the methods from their favorite novels.

Soon, financial irregularities at Drew’s stepfather’s company come to light and it’s clear that all who remain at Farthering Place could be in danger. Trying hard to remain one step ahead of the killer–and trying harder to impress Madeline–Drew must decide how far to take this game.

My Rating

If you love a good, classic, murder-mystery, this is a tale for you.  It definitely kept me on my toes and guessing who might've dunnit. . . And then when I think I had the culprit pin-pointed, I was wrong!  I so enjoyed this story (a book I received as a Christmas gift from my dear Evan) and would heartily recommend to all you mystery lovers.  The characters are so lovable and fun, the dialogue mysterious and laugh-out-loudable, and the tale gripping.  If you enjoy the stories of Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, and Father Knox, you'll definitely like this one.  Murders galore!  (ages 16+)


------------------------------------------------

And that's all I have for now.  
Happy Thursday, dearies!

post signature

Comments

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…