A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?



It's me!  I'm back!! And with another Name post. . . Heheheh.  I seriously meant to post more than I did this past week, but. . . ah well.  Hope y'all have had a lovely weekend!  Can you believe August is near over??

I actually have two book reviews in the works, so stay tuned later in the week.  Hopefully.  :]

Benjamin
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  English, French, German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Biblical
Pronunciation:  BEN--min (English), ben-zha-MEn (French),  BEN-yah-meen (German)

Meaning & History
From the Hebrew name Binyamin, which means "son of the south" or "son of the right hand."  In the Old Testament, this is the given name of the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and founder of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.  As an English name, Benjamin came into use after the Protestant Reformation.  A famous bearer was Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), an American statesman, inventor, scientist, and philosopher.
Anna
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English, Italian, German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Estonian, Latvian, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Czech, Slovak, Bulgarian, Icelandic, Catalan, Occitan, Breton, Biblical, Old Church Slavic, Biblical Latin, Biblical Greek
Pronunciation:  AN-a (English), AHN-nah (Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, Polish), AH-nah (German, Russian),  AN-nah (Danish)

Meaning & History
A form of Hebrew name Channah, which hails from Hannah, meaning "favour" or "grace."
Marshall
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  English
Pronunciation:  MAHR-s

Meaning & History
From a surname which originally denoted a person who was a marshal.  The word itself comes from Germanic elements marah "horse" and scalc "servant."
Fun Fact! This is actually the middle name of my father and brother.
Ruth
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English, German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Spanish, Biblical, Biblical Latin
Pronunciation:  ROOTH (English), ROOT (German)

Meaning & History
From a Hebrew name which is derived from the Hebrew word re'ut, meaning "friend."  This was the given name of the central character in the Old Testament Book of Ruth, a Moabite woman who was the ancestor of King David.  As a Christian name, Ruth has been in use since the Protestant Reformation.  








post signature
Names and meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

Comments

  1. Just saved all four pictures to my folder of character inspiration! (I think almost all the pictures in there I've gathered from your name posts... You just find the best ones.) Someday these faces will show up in a story. :)

    My my, Anna is used in a lot of languages!

    Fun fact: Marshall is also the name of a henchman in an urban/high fantasy novel of mine. XD He has the strange habit of eating salsa sauce right from the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely batch of names! I'm actually brainstorming an idea now with a character named "Channah," so it was really interesting to see the connections to other names. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…