A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

Here's another Name post (finally)!  I already had the first two ready and realized I was still doing a part featuring Scandinavian names.  So, this one has two Finnish for you to peruse.  Perhaps I'll have a few more that hail from Finland in a week or two. . . :]  

(Heheheh, And I'm losing track of which photos I've already used. . . Forgive me if you see a picture that I've previously posted with another name.)


Garrison
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  English, German, Old High German, Old French
Pronunciation:  GAR-uh-suhn

Meaning & History
Unknown in terms of names. Could possibly be said to mean "to defend, to protect."  Comes from the word of the same name, [noun] meaning "a body of troops stationed in a fortified place; the place where such troops are stationed; any military post, especially a permanent one." [verb] "To provide with a garrison; to occupy with troops; to put on duty in a fort, post, station, etc."

Word origin:  Middle English garisoun protection, stronghold; Old French garison, gareison defense, provision, derivative of garir, guerir to defend; Germanic; compare Old High German to warjan.  (Dictionary.com)



Tessa
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English
Pronunciation:  TESS-ah

Meaning & History
Diminutive of Theresa, which could ultimately be derived from the Greek theros meaning "summer" or therizo meaning "in harvest."








Elias
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Portuguese, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, English, Greek, Biblical Latin, Biblical Greek
Pronunciation:  ǝ-LEE-ǝsh (Portuguese), e-LEE-ahs (German), E-lee-ahs (Finnish), i-LIE-ǝs (English), ee-LIE-ǝs (English)

Meaning & History
Cognate of Elijah, meaning "my God is YAHWEH."  Elias is the form used in the Greek New Testament.


Lahja
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  Finnish
Pronunciation:  LAHH-yah

Meaning & History
Means "gift" in Finnish.












post signature
Names and meanings via 
behindthename.com & dictionary.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

Comments

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…