Monday, May 4, 2015

What's in a Name?

Oh wow.  I'm such a horrible blogger.  Missed yet another A+A post. . .
HOW COULD I???

I apologize, my faithful friends!  I can only hope this pitiful little Name post will appease you while I draft a couple more book reviews and gather my awkward/awesome things.  I plan to give a brief update soon regarding life in general, including details on my grandfather's condition.  He's doing well, undergoing radiation, but still managing to stay in the thick of farm-life.  They say you can't keep a good man down, and, boy, do I believe it!

Bear with me, lovelies!

Indigo
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English (rare)
Pronunciation:  IN-di-go

Meaning & History
From the English word indigo, for the purplish-blue dye or the color.  Ultimately, it is derived from the Greek Indikon, meaning "Indic, from India."

Avalon
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English (rare)
Pronunciation:  AV-ǝ-lahn 

Meaning & History
From the name of the island paradise King Arthur was taken to after death.  There is a possibility that the island's name is related to the Welsh word afal, meaning "apple." 





Happy Monday, all!  Fairfarren, for now.

post signature

Names and meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

1 reflections:

Ally R. said...

Thanks for sharing! I really like Avalon.