Monday, June 23, 2014

What's in a Name?

Excuses, excuses.  I know.  I have missed yet another A + A Friday.  I hope this won't become a habit. . . But I do feel like I had a good reason!

I had the A + A post saved in drafts and nearly ready to publish on Friday, but somehow it wasn't.  Obviously.  Anyways, that night we went to my aunt's house to learn a new game, Tripoley!  Good fun.  :]  (We didn't play the poker part, I promise).  ;D  Then, Saturday, we took a trip to Crossville for the Cumberland County Tractor Show and afterwards a hike to Piney Falls.  That in itself was quite an experience!  Hopefully I'll have a couple pictures to share with you later.

On to the post!  Alas, only two names this time.  But enjoy all the same!

----------------------------------------

Eldar
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Azerbaijani
Pronunciation:  (possibly) EL-dahr, or el-DAHR

Meaning & History
From a Turkic element el "country, society" and a Persian element dar "possessor."





Tamsyn
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English (British)
Pronunciation:  TAM-sin

Meaning & History
Variant of Tamsin, which is a condensed form of Thomasina, the Medieval feminine form of Thomas, meaning "twin."


Requests?

 photo sarahsignature_zps5172c7cd.png

2 reflections:

Risa said...

Wow, never heard of Azerbaijan before!
Love both names. :) Tamsyn is cute as a nickname for Thomasina.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Interesting, yes? I thought so too. ^__^