Tuesday, April 22, 2014

What's in a Name?

Hello, dearies!  :]  Guess what!  My computer is back and running (for now)!  Woohoo! I never knew how much I would miss a full size keyboard.

So, on to the post!  I don't know if you have noticed, but I have been trying to publish my Name posts on Mondays, Word posts on Tuesdays, hopefully Character Spotlights on Wednesdays, whatever on Thursdays (like reviews and such), and of course, A+A posts on Fridays.  But today, instead of a word, I've decided to go on and give you another set of names.  These hail from German roots.  Enjoy!

Also, I'm up for requests if you are curious as to what meaning a certain name could have or if you simply wish to see a set of names from another culture or country.  Leave a comment!

Benno
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  German
Pronunciation:  BE-no

Meaning & History
Short form of German given names containing the element bern, meaning "bear."

Valeska
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  German
Pronunciation:  VAH-le-skah, vah-LE-skah

Meaning & History
Diminutive of Valeria, the feminine form of Valerius, an Ancient Roman family name taken from the Latin valere, meaning "to be strong."







Dominik
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Czech, Slovak, Slovene, Polish, German, Hungarian, Croatian
Pronunciation:  daw-MEE-neek (Polish), DO-mi-nik (German)

Meaning & History
Cognate of Dominic, which comes from the Late Latin name Dominicus, meaning "of the Lord."

Jana
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  Dutch, German, Czech, Slovak, Slovene, Catalan
Pronunciation:  YAH-nah (Dutch, German)

Meaning & History
Feminine form of Jan (YAHN), which is ultimately derived from the English John, meaning "YAHWEH is gracious."








Names and meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

 photo sarahsignature_zps5172c7cd.png

3 comments:

Morgan said...

Never would have guessed Jana came from Germany! Yay! You computers fixed!

Risa said...

Yay, your computer's back! ^-^
Samantha and I would like to see some animal themed names, maybe from different cultures?

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Morgan! Yes, I love the name of Jana (which is actually my aunt's name! Of course we pronounce it with the "j", not the "y".

Alas, my computer is down again... TT_TT

But anyway, what a great idea, Sam and Risa! That theme will definitely b next. :]