A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? [SURNAMES]

Another addition of Surnames!  I apologize. . . No pictures.  =]

Remember, these Name and Surname posts, as well as the Word posts are to serve a purpose for you, my fellow writer!  And that purpose is to help you in choosing the perfect name or names for you character (or characters) as well as widen your vocabulary.  =]

If you have a request for a name or two, be it a theme (names with Fire meanings, or Forest, Elvish, Desert, etc.), or a set of Surnames for a Medieval, Period Drama, or whatever setting, drop me a comment! and I will see what I can find.


Holt
Usage:  Dutch, Danish, English, Norwegian
Pronunciation:  HOLT

Meaning & History
Means "a wood" or "grove" in Old English or German.

Kavanaugh
Usage:  Irish
Pronunciation:  kav-ǝ-NAH, kav-ǝ-NAHG

Meaning & History
Variant of Kavanagh, which is derived from the Irish Gaelic name Caomhánach meaning "a student of saint Caomhan."  It was a name used by a 12th-century king of Leinster, Domhnall Caomhánach (Donal Kavanagh), the eldest son of an Irish king.

Norwood
Usage:  English
Pronunciation:  NOR-wood

Meaning & History
Originally derived from a place name meaning "north wood" in Old English.

Teague
Source:  Given Name
Usage:  Irish
Pronunciation:  TEEG

Meaning & History
Anglicized form of Ó Taidhg, meaning "descendant of Tadhg."  Tadhg (pronounced: TIEG) is an Irish given name meaning "poet."

Requests?

 photo sarahsignature_zps5172c7cd.png

Comments

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…