A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

[Every Good Word] Writerly Link-Up!

I know I'm a little late in joining the party, but I decided to do it anyway!  This is a get-to-know-your-fellow-writers link-up at Meghan Gorecki's blog, Every Good Word


  1. What was your first-ever piece of writing? I guess that would be a short story I wrote, set in the Old West, about a Ranger named Jacob "Jac" Crews. I must confess it was wholly inspired by Louis L'Amour and greatly resembled his writings. =]
  2. How old were you when you first began writing?  Hmm. About 14, maybe. I'm not quite sure, my writings then were sporadic and didn't happen often.
  3. Name two writing goals. One short term & one long term.  Short term goal: To actually finish my main WIP, Safia, and possibly publish it. My long term goal: To keep writing! And complete other unfinished works. Safia, first.
  4. Do you write fiction or non-fiction?  Fiction, all the way!
  5. Bouncing off of question 4, what's your favorite genre to write in?  It would have to be Medieval/Fantasy. =] There's just something about knights, dragons, elves, and fair ladies that calls to me. ;D By far, it is the easiest to write about, in my opinion. You can make up your own world and language, places and creatures, and not have a worry or care about messing up anything. Call me lazy, but it is hard to do the research it takes to have a story setting in a real place -- for example, London, England. Especially if you have never been there yourself. By the way, I have a WIP set in England already. =] Just floating around in the off-stage area right now...
  6. One writing lesson you've learned since 2013 began.  I have learned so much this year! Too much to condense it to one thing... I would say I've learned the importance of having an outside editor to look over my work. In my case, it is my family (mother and sisters), who spot the mistakes and details that have slipped by me in their sneaky ways.
  7. Favorite author, off the top of your head!  This is too hard! I would have to say Louis L'Amour. 
  8. Three current favorite books.  ARGH. Um, "The Walking Drum" by Louis L'Amour, "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell, and the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. Actually, I have so many more, but those are what came to my mind first. =]
  9. Biggest influence on your writing {person}:  My sisters, of course! Jenny & Julia, who help me come up with ideas in the first place. Love you, ladies! You are my bestest friends! But then I have to say my other best friend Risa! Who has always been there with her sweet encouragement and prayers. Thank, dear Risa. <3
  10. What's your go-to writing music?  Hmm. Actually, I don't really listen to music when I write. I get distracted easily... But I do love soundtracks! LotR, Narnia, Brave, Tangled, Rise of the Guardians, you name it. Video game soundtracks are awesome, too (though I do not play/own any of the games): Halo or Assassin's Creed (yes, it has incredible music!).
  11. List three to five writing quirks of your's! Little habits, must-haves as you write, etc.  a] Absolute quiet -- just me... in my alone-ness. Maybe with a soft instrumental playing in the background. Rainy days are good for inspiration. b] A good pen, fine, with plenty of ink. c] My Sustainable Earth (by Staples), recycled sugar-cane paper, Eco friendly notebook. My favorite notebook ever! (I love the feel of the pages...) My strategy is to write, then type to computer. I just love the feel of pen to paper. ^__^
  12. What, in three sentences or less, does your writing mean to you?  A way to express myself through the written word, and hopefully encourage others to stand up for the faith. I feel I "speak" better through my writing then through actual speech; I want my characters to be to be someone the reader can relate to, no matter the genre. =]


Comments

  1. Ah, you're so sweet. It's been my pleasure. ^-^
    It's interesting to see how different people write different ways. And I'm curious about this England story! It wouldn't happen to be your Chess idea, would it? Or something different altogether? Ah, the mystery... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, shucks... We love you too, big sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear, dear Risa! thanks for commenting! Actually, my main character for the concept story set in England is an American girl name Kyndi. Still in the works, just floating around... Chess' story is set in southern California, by the way. =]

    Julia: ^__^ <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…