A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Book Review

I Kissed Dating Goodbye
A New Attitude Toward Romance and Relationships
Joshua Harris

[rear cover]
Tired of the game?  Kiss dating goodbye.
Dating.  Isn't there a better way?  I Kissed Dating Goodbye suggest there is.  Reorder your romantic life in the light of God's Word and find more fulfillment than a date could ever give--a life of sincere love, true purity and purposeful singleness.

-------------------------------------

In all truth and honesty, I kissed dating goodbye more than five years ago.  Never did the thought ever enter my mind that dating would be the way to go.  I guess it was drilled into me by my parents, and the fact in seeing those my age jumping on the dating roller-coaster and exiting broken and sick; it disgusted me.  Though I didn't realize at first, deep down I knew I wanted something more real.  Pure.  True.

I wish I had read this years ago.  (Though in my mind, it seemed there was no need for me to do so, seeing as I already agreed whole-heartedly regarding this subject.)  Probably should have, but then again I might not have come away with what I've learned in reading it now.    However, I am glad to have read it, and now hope in my doing so, I may encourage others and spread the Light.

Joshua Harris, age 21 at the publication of this book, does an incredible job in getting his point across.  Through his own personal experiences, and mistakes, he serves as a guide, lending answers to what he has learned and exposing the dating game for what it really is.  [Please do not misunderstand me!  Many good marriages have resulted from dating, yes, but sadly the majority of problems, I believe, outweighs the good.]

Have you heard the phrase, "Dating is practice for divorce."?  Think about it.  This is true in the most absolute sense.  Guys and girls go out on an innocent date, ride to highest of the coaster, speed back down, and break up only to take the ride again with another person.  The result is broken hearts, anger, and in some cases, defiled purity.  

"God wants us to seek guidance from scriptural truth, not feeling," says the author in the first chapter. "Smart love looks beyond personal desires and the gratification of the moment. It looks at the big picture: serving others and glorifying God." (pgs 24)

In the same chapter, he states: "Does this mean we'll never mess up? Of course not! We can only stand before God because of His grace and the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus. And yet this grace doesn't give us license to be lax in our pursuit of righteousness. Instead, it should urge us to desire purity and blamelessness even more." (pgs 25)

In this book, Mr. Harris tackles the hard questions with biblical truth, answers truthfully on account of his own experiences, shares what he has learned, and suggests a new path.

I would definitely and most readily recommend this book to teens and adults alike, whether they are just entering high school or have encountered the age of 30 and remain a single, sick of the game.  

A new perspective is needed.  Have you thought of courtship?  =]

-------------------------------------

Thank you for reading!  This post could have definitely been longer, filled with many words of wisdom (from me, of course!  Just kidding.).  But I decided to leave that to you to learn on your own. =]

Recommended ages: 16+  
(Because, seriously, you shouldn't even be thinking of dating any younger than sixteen.  Or even at sixteen!  Are you ready to be married?  They why are you dating??)

My rating:


 photo sarahsignature_zps5172c7cd.png

Comments

  1. I absolutely loooove this book. Isn't it fantastic? It's so refreshing. Not many things like this in the world, heh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…