A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Quote Worthy

Hello, friends!

I am currently reading a book entitled Stepping Heavenward, by Mrs. Elizabeth Prentiss.  Usually, I read one non-fiction along with a fictional novel.  This time, I've chosen the above said book (as my non-fiction, even though it's actually... fiction...) and the second of a new series we started a little while ago, the Wingfeather Saga, North! or Be Eaten by Andrew Peterson (great series, by the way!)

 So far, I am only on the eighth chapter, but I love it!  

At first, I thought it was the actual diary of Mrs. Prentiss, but came to find out it is the fictional story of a young girl and her struggles with the flaws of humanity (bad attitudes, quick temper, selfishness, etc.) and told through her journal.

Here are some quotes I wish to share with you:

"I am a wayward, foolish child.  But He loves me!  I have disobeyed and grieved Him ten thousand times.  But He loves me!  I have lost faith in some of my dearest friends and am very desolate.  But He loves me!  I do not love Him; I am even angry with Him!  But He loves me!"
    All the way home I fought this battle with myself, saying, "He loves me!" I knelt down to pray, and all my wasted, childish, wicked life came and stared me in the face.  I looked at it and said with tears of joy, "But He loves me!"  Never in my life did I feel so rested, so quieted, so sorrowful, and yet so satisfied.
-Katherine Mortimer (pgs. 59)

    "And do you really think that God notices such little things?"
 "My dear child, what a question!  If there is any one truth I would gladly impress upon the mind of a young Christian, it is just this, that God notices the most trivial act, accepts the poorest, most threadbare little service, listens to the coldest, feeblest petition, and gathers up with parental fondness all our fragmenting desires and attempts at good works.  Oh, if we could only begin to conceive how He loves us, what different creatures we should be!"
-Mrs. Cabot (pgs. 68)

"I really, really don't deserve to be praised.  For I have been thinking that, if it is true that God notices every little thing that we do to please Him, He must also notice every cross word we speak, every shrug of the shoulders, every ungracious look, and that they displease Him.  And my list of offenses is as long as my life!"
-Kate Mortimer (pgs. 68)


Just something to think about.


Blessings,
Sarah

Comments

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…