A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Spring Cleaning Writerly Challenge Tag!

The weekend has arrived!

And for those of you taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo, we've only got two days left!
How's your goal?  Are you close to accomplishing it? or have you breezed right by and kept going? :] If you're like me, you may have had to adjust said goal in order to forego any unnecessary stress.  And you know what? That's great! No shame in lowering your objective to keep your sanity.

As for this tag:  I meant to have it posted the first week or two in April, simply because it goes well with Camp NaNo and may even serve to help further my WIP.  But, it seems now's as good as ever! and may even serve to give me a much-needed boost to finish this month's challenge strong.
Onward!


RULES
  • Link back to the person who tagged you.  Christine tagged me. Thanks, girl! <3
  • Share the picture. *points to pic above*
  • Answer the questions (naturally…) or even pick and choose which ones you answer.  Almost to that part!
  • Tag 3 other writers and inform them that you tagged them (via comment/message/email or hey, even carrier-pigeon or smoke signal---you choose!). *see end of post*

THE TAG!
1. Dust-bunnies and Plot-bunnies: Reorganize Your Writing Goals (Or Make New Ones)
            This may surprise you, but. . . I'm still working on the Managing-My-Time Thing. #SHOCKER  My writing goals for this year, according to this post, were:

// COMPLETE FIRST DRAFT OF NOYA \\
This is still underway, buuuuuuttt it is happening!  Slowly.  But definitely happening.  Camp NaNo has certainly served it's purpose in this particular matter.  :]  I've absolutely LOVED having a cabin full of fellow writers to chat with and encourage one another.  My ideas on Noya's plot-line have been rather sparse of late, to say the least.  Which to me seems like it's time to sit and piece together all parts of the puzzle to see exactly where I am and what holes need filled.  I'm not sure I've ever gotten this far in a draft before.  (Safia's story kinda just went on and on and I wasn't sure how to fix it's plot, plus there was a gazillion plot-holes. . .)

// REVISIT SAFIA'S STORY \\
Hasn't happened yet.  But perhaps after Camp, and once I get what I've written of Noya's draft pieced together where it should be (it most likely resembles a plate of spaghetti at the moment), then maybe I'll sit and review Safia's world.  :]  That has me just a teensy bit excited, actually.  And will probably be a great time to take a break from Noya, for the time being.

// BLOG WEEKLY -- 3X \\
Yeah. . . Sorta kinda hasn't happened the way I'd like it to.  But I'm working on it!  I've got some ideas for some new writerly posts in the making, as well as a couple book reviews coming up---and more to follow in the weeks to come.  I've also got lifey things to add to the list, as well as Baby Gabe updates!!  *^ - ^* (It's still hard to believe I'll be a mum very soon. . .)

// ORGANIZE MY TIME \\
This is one goal I've probably struggled with the most.  And if we're honest, who doesn't?  I get distracted far too easily.  And while I have near-absolute power of managing my time and how I spend it, I complain there's not enough time in the day to do what I want.  Sound familiar?  Still, it's certainly not impossible to work toward this objective, and it is definitely a great builder of one's diligence. 

2. Which Stage Are You At?  Expound!
a. Remodeling layouts (planning the story)
b. Painting the walls in colorful hues (writing)
c. Polishing the windows and scrubbing the floors and putting flowers in vases (editing)
d. Blueprints (not to the cleaning or remodeling yet… just drawing up plans for the very beginning inklings of a story)
e. Some combination of those things (cleaning out a closet)
            Of all the above, I should probably say "e," a combo of all those things, with the exception of "c."  I'm doing my best NOT to go back and re-read what I've written till I have at least a majority of the first draft completed.  Why?  Because I know myself rather well, and I would be horribly prone to fix EVERYTHING all along the way. . . (does anyone else have this problem? or is it just a me thing?) 

3. Treasure From the Back of the Closet (Share one to three snippets you love!)
            Snippets!!  I do love snippets.  :]

Noya nodded, her feverish mind laughing at her and wondering what more strange and bizarre things could possibly occur? She was trapped in the most beautiful prison of marble and glass, her captor was a Beast unlike anything she had ever seen, and a griffin was asking her permission to enter the sanctuary she had unofficially claimed as her own.
> > > > < < < <

     Ilsa’s features sobered. “I only wish I could assure you not to worry, dear one. But I fear it will only worsen as time runs out.”
     “I understand.” Noya wrapped the robe tighter, feeling a sudden chill. “I wish I could do something. I wish I could fix it all.”
     “Such noble thoughts. They hold a kind of magic, I daresay. But none so strong as that of a name.”
      “A name?”
    “Ná. I am forbidden to speak of such things, but I can say the power of a name is worth far more than the greatest treasure of this world.”
     “Do you mean. . . the name of the king?”
     Ilsa did not reply, or couldn’t, but her eyes spoke volumes.
     Noya was quiet for a moment, stroking the wet locks of her hair. Ilsa moved then, and taking a comb, silently offered to comb her hair. Noya nodded.
     “So. . . If learning his true name, if it holds such power as you say, would that be the key to breaking the curse?”
    Ilsa looked pained for a moment, as if battling herself to speak her mind, but finally she stated simply, “Names have meanings. It is up to the bearer on whether they become worthy of that meaning. Most do not.”
 > > > > < < < <

     Noya felt Baradil scoff and the image of a dragon pompously sipping his tea whilst guarding a mound of shimmering treasure entered her mind. She would have laughed but the wind stole her breath. Instead, she attempted to send a thought-image in return. But all that came was the single word riddled with her silent laughter: Pompous?
     He tilted his head in her direction, one amber eye catching her own. He was doing his griffin-smile, but she caught the underlying contempt.
    Perhaps it was not best to argue the virtues of Dragons while perched atop a Griffin who thought them pompous…

3.5. Bonus: Do Some Actual Spring Cleaning of Your Writer Self! (and share a picture!)
            Alas. . . I do not have an official writing space.  Nor do I have a photo. . . Sorry!  I tend to take my notebook and laptop to wherever my mood brings me, which is usually the couch.  Or the bed with a ton of pillows.  Or, on the gorgeous, sunny days, outside somewhere.  :]

            I do, however, LOVE keeping a large notebook with me.  Over the years (I actually can't remember when I started this, but if I weren't so lazy at the moment, I'd go dig out the first one), I began purchasing school-subject notebooks and dubbed them "Sari's Misc. Notebook *insert Roman numeral here*."  I honest don't recall which number I'm on currently as I forgot to title this particular notebook.  Along with my handwritten notes and excerpts/snippets that I jot down in there, I then transfer from paper to my laptop.  It does take some extra time doing it that way (and sometimes I just type my thoughts directly), but I love the feel of pen and paper in my hands just as much, if not more, than typing.  :]  I also get to double-think (not over-think, mind you) my ideas and excerpts that way.  Make sense?

            Anywho, kinda boring with no photo, but I've got a friend coming to visit and then we're meeting up with other friends to see AVENGERS: INFINITY WARS!!!

So, on to the tagging!

TAGGING

Please don't feel obligated to do this tag!  
(And I apologize if you've already done it or been tagged before) 
Enjoy!


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Here are the Questions
(For copy and pasting purposes)

1. Dust-bunnies and Plot-bunnies: Reorganize Your Writing Goals (Or Make New Ones)
2. Which Stage Are You At?  Expound!
a. Remodeling layouts (planning the story)
b. Painting the walls in colorful hues (writing)
c. Polishing the windows and scrubbing the floors and putting flowers in vases (editing)
d. Blueprints (not to the cleaning or remodeling yet… just drawing up plans for the very beginning inklings of a story)
e. Some combination of those things (cleaning out a closet)
3. Treasure From the Back of the Closet (Share one to three snippets you love!)
3.5. Bonus: Do Some Actual Spring Cleaning of Your Writer Self! (and share a picture!)

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Happy weekend, y'all!!!
I'm totally enjoying this gorgeous Spring weather. :]

Comments

  1. You did the tag! YAY!!! This was so much fun to read!

    I'm so proud of you for continuing to work on Noya. EEP. It's so exciting! And that'd be so very fun if you revisited Safia. I'm so bad about jumping from one new shiny project to the next, I hardly ever revisit my old stories and fix them up and it's shameful! I've been meaning to do that more. And organizing time...goodness. IT'S SO HARD! I was going fairly strong in January then life exploded and now...I don't even know what I'm doing. XD Maybe one day that balance will be found!

    I use to go back and edit my stuff while writing allll the time! I think it's a sickness. XD These days I uuusually just write and make a mess, but the drive to edit as I go is still strong. So I totally get ya there! Though there's NOTHING wrong with editing as you go. A lot of writers do that! We all have our own systems that work best for us, and that's a good thing!

    OH MY GRACIOUS GOODNESS. THOSE SNIPPETS, SARAH!!! I was already in love with your story and now just AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so magical and sweet and beautiful and fun! I mean, griffins and beautiful prisons and dragons and thiiiings? I LOVE SO MUCH! <3333

    I love that you do a lot of handwriting! I haven't done that in yeeeears and it's shameful. I can imagine it's very motivating getting AWAY from the screen, but I've gotten so spoiled to typing I can never make myself stop. XD But handwriting is a lovely thing!

    INFINITY WARS!!!! **SHRIEKS* I've yet to see it but I'm DYING to! I hope you enjoy it!

    Thanks for doing this tag. I loved seeing your answers and getting a sneak peek at your delightful story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your goals are wonderful, Sarah :). And simple, LOL.

    Oh my goodness, your snippets are so awesome. I love that one about the names - it's so poignant!

    Yay! I was hoping this tag would come to me :). Thank you Sarah! (Hopefully I won't take 2 months to do this one...)

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine: Thanks! ^-^ I know! I would get these cool, new ideas and practically itch to work on them instead of my current WIP... That actually hasn't happened in a little while, until yesterday when something sparked a concept idea that would be AWESOME if it ever came to fruition... (Not sure if that'll happen, I didn't write down the idea, and now not sure I can recall all of the awesomeness...) // AGH. TIME. One of these days, WE will conquer it!! #hahamaybenotreally // The Editing Monster takes hold of you too?? I knew it! I'm not alone!! xD Haha, seriously, I agree! if writers can make that method work for them, that's GREAT! But for me, it was a horrible distraction and kept me from furthering the progress of my stories (it still tends to rear its bulbous head in my direction at times...). // Awww, thanks! I am rather proud of those particular scenes. *blushes* // Handwriting is lovely! No worries if you're an absolute typer! I LOVE hearing the click of keys clacking away. ;D But I do enjoy the variety of pen and paper mixed in with typing. Someday I will have a beautiful new laptop with customized colored keys to replace the ugly, BASIC of basics computer I have now (though I AM so grateful to have one! not that I'm coveting newer, shinier things...) *facepalm* //AHHHHHHHHHH!!! Infinity Wars! Oh my, like you said in your Instagram post, my feels have feels and I liked it a lot, with the exception of some things... O__O *laughs hysterically b4 bursting into tears* // Thanks again for tagging me, girl! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine: Haha! thanks, dearie! I sure do like simple. ;D // Thank you! I am quite proud of those snippets. And you know how I love names! [inspired verse: "A good name is to be chosen over great wealth; favor is better than silver & gold." Proverbs 22:1] // You are most welcome! I really enjoy these kind of tags myself. They get you thinking more about your WIP and to dig deeper into details. Enjoy! And take all the time you need in posting it. :]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…