A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Good Friday


Oh what Grace we have been given.  Unfortunately, I often live my days only for myself, forgetting the life I've been given. 

Do we ever really listen for our merciful Lord's soft voice?  And I mean, really listen?  Rarely does He speak aloud or verbally through someone to us, but He's everywhere!  Perhaps we need to focus more on the listening, instead of the dull, everyday living.  I catch myself going through the motions daily, and I don't know about you, but that's certainly not living.  How then are we to shine the Light we've been given?  

Easter was never meant to be about cute bunnies, marshmallow peeps, chocolates, and egg hunts.  How far we have fallen in our traditions!  Easter acknowledges not only the brutal death---which would have been ours---of our Redeemer, but also His glorious Resurrection.  What does that mean?  The battle has been won!  But there is still much work to be done.  We are not promised the pleasures of life on this earth, but instead a heavenly, eternal reward.

Which one would YOU choose given the choice?


"Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus, who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God as something to be used for His own advantage.  Instead He emptied Himself by assuming the form of a slave [bond-servant], taking on the likeness of men.  And when He had come as a man in His external form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death---even to death on a cross.  For this reason God highly exalted Him and gave Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW---of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth---and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."
- Philippians 2:5-11, HCSB - 

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

On this Easter weekend, don't lose sight of the true reason we celebrate this particular holiday.  As followers of Christ---Christians---we've been given the ultimate gift.  How can we be silent?


source
Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word;
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard.

  1. Tell of the cross where they nailed Him,
    Writhing in anguish and pain;
    Tell of the grave where they laid Him,
    Tell how He liveth again.
    Love in that story so tender,
    Clearer than ever I see;
    Stay, let me weep while you whisper,
    “Love paid the ransom for me.”

It's Friday,
But Sunday's coming!

Comments

  1. *clutches heart* Oh, Sarah. These were the most beautiful words. Beautiful and powerful and so, so, SO important. Thank you for writing this.

    I do hope you and your family have the most wonderful Easter. It is truly a time to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. While the chocolate and candy are nice and all, we shouldn't lose sight of the true meaning: Jesus died in place of us so we could have an opportunity to be saved, to have God's grace, and that is so big that it can be hard to wrap our minds around. But he did it for us, despite the pain and the humiliation. He loved us that much. Such a beautiful reminder. Thank you, Sarah. <3 Happy Good Friday and Happy Easter. He is RISEN. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. Jesus had the victory, sin and death have no power before Him. Such a precious, needful reminder of what He did for us and how we are now to live for our King. Because He lives, we can face tomorrow. - because He lives, all fear is gone - because we know He holds the future - life is worth the living, just because He lives.

    Risa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine: Thank you, m'dear! Most of the things I post are for my benefit more than anything. I so need the reminders!! I hope you and your family have a lovely Easter weekend as well! <3

    Ivie: Yes! Chocolates are certainly one of life's perks, but unfortunately, I believe the next few generations will look on Easter and see the bunny and not the cross. Your words are beautiful! "He loved us that much." <-- so true! He is RISEN, indeed! Have a lovely weekend, dearie!

    Nightingale: I could not have said it better myself! The hymns do it so beautifully. I love that line "Because He lives, all fear is gone/because we know He holds the future/and life is worth the living, just because He lives!" <-- TT_TT <3 Thank you, dear Risa!! Have a lovely Easter weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SUCH a beautiful post, Sarah!!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Catherine! You're such a dear *^ - ^*

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful reminder! Living a cross centered life is one of the most fulfilling things ever! It gives purpose to the most mundane things. Thanks for this post! I hope we don't forget this, even now that Easter is over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…