A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

Good morning, lovelies!  

How was your weekend? I don't know where you are, but our weather has been simply GORGEOUS!!

Here are some names for you.  Any requests for next week?

Kristoff
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  English, Swedish, Hungarian, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish
Pronunciation:  KRIS-tawf, KRIS-tof (English), KREESH-tof (Swedisht)

Meaning & History
Variant of Christoph, which hails from the given name Christopher, meaning "bearing Christ." 

You may think immediately of a dear character who bears this name in Disney's Frozen.  :]  Isn't that photo AWESOME?? 


Kelsi
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English (modern)
Pronunciation:  KEL-see

Meaning & History
Variant of the name Kelsey, which may possibly mean "Cenel's island."

Nicolas
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Biblical, English, French, Greek
Pronunciation:  NIK-o-las (English), nee-ko-LAH (French)

Meaning & History
French form of Nicholas, meaning "victory of the people," which is derived from the Greek name Nikolaos.










Narah
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English (rare), Biblical
Pronunciation:  NARE-rah

Meaning & History
Variant of the Biblical name Naarah or Na'arah, meaning "girl" or "maiden" in Hebrew.  This was the given name of a wife of Ashur of the tribe of Judah (1 Chron. 4:5-6), as well as the name of a town east of Beth-el on the border of Ephraim (Josh. 16:7), possibly the same as Naaran (1 Chron. 7:28). 









xxx,
Sarah

Names & meanings via behindthename.com and 
All the Names in the Bible by Thomas Nelson.
Photos via Pinterest.

Comments

  1. Narah- I like that. Names taken from the bible are awesome, especially rare ones like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Blue! Yes, I really like that one too. Especially cuz it rhymes with SARAH. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great selection! I love that picture of Kristoff. (I feel silly asking, but is it fanart or a photo? I thought art, but my brother thought it might be real.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Tracey! And thanks! :] It is not a silly question. But I do believe it is a very good rendition of fanart with photoshop. If I understand correctly, it could be a mixture of an actual photo with art added. Hope that makes sense...

    Thanks for commenting!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, how nifty! I was thinking earlier that if it really was artwork, then it's pretty amazing to make viewers second guess whether or not it's real. XD

      Delete
  5. Love Narah, what a pretty name! Thanks for sharing more names & meanings with us. ^-^ I wonder if we'll be seeing a rise in Kristoffs over the next few years? Or Elsas and Annas, heehe

    Risa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…