A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

Welcome, welcome!  Here's a new Name post for you, dearies.  

I understand NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is quickly approaching.  And so, the majority of you lovely bloggie buddies are gathering your resources and preparing your plots.  Well, you need names, right?  While I do not participate in NaNo (although I'd love to, I simply cannot commit to it this year) I am happy to help and encourage those of you who are.  If you're in need of the perfect name for a character, let me know!  I can give you plenty of options to choose from.  Or if you simply need a resource to turn to, visit BehindtheName.com, where you can search names, their histories, and meanings all on one site.  Another website I find occasionally helpful is NameBerry.com.

Luck to you!


Nekoda
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Biblical
Pronunciation:  nee-KO-dǝ (English)

Meaning & History
Means "marked" in Hebrew.  In the Old Testament, this was the name of the head of a family of temple servants.  (Ezra chapter 2 & Nehemiah chapter 7)
River
Gender:  Masculine [& Feminine]
Usage:  English (modern)
Pronunciation:  RIV-ǝr

Meaning & History
From an English word that represents a flowing body of water.  The word is ultimately derived from the Latin (via Old French) ripa, meaning "riverbank."
Christopher
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  English
Pronunciation:  KRIS-tǝ-fǝr

Meaning & History
From the Late Greek name Christophorus, meaning "bearing Christ."  It is derived from Christos and combined with pheros "to bear, to carry."  Early Christians used it as a metaphorical name saying that they carried Christ in their hearts.
As an English given name, Christopher has been in use since the 15th century.  In Denmark, it was borne by three kings, including the 15th-century Christopher of Bavaria who also ruled Norway and Sweden.  Other famous bearers include the Italian explorer Christopher Columbus (1451-1506), English playwright Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593), and A.A. Milne's fictional character Christopher Robin in his 'Winnie the Pooh' books.
Georgette
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  French
Pronunciation:  zhor-ZHETT (French), jor-JETT (English)

Meaning & History
French, feminine form of George, which is ultimately derived from the Greek georgos meaning "farmer, earthworker."













-----------------------------------------
A pleasure, it is, my lovelies.  Thanks for stopping by!
post signature
Names and meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

Comments

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…