A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

Jaron
Gender:  Masculine
Origin:  Hebrew, English
Pronunciation:  JAYR-ron

Meaning & History
Hebrew variant transcription of Yaron, meaning "to sing, to shout".  English invented name, possibly derived from Jared, meaning "descent", and Darren, who's meaning is not known, but could be derived from a form of Darrell, which is an English surname.

Hannah's Prayer
Hannah
Gender:  Feminine
Origin:  English, Hebrew, French, German, Dutch, Biblical
Pronunciation:  HAN(English), HAH-nah (German)

Meaning & History
This name comes from the Hebrew given name Channah (most likely pro. cah-NAH), meaning "favour" or "grace".  In the Old Testament book of 1 Samuel, Hannah prayed to God for a son and through her heart-felt pleas (1 Sam. 1:10-11), God granted her request and gave her Samuel (1 Sam. 1:20), who, under the tutelage of Eli, became a great prophet.

As an English name, Hannah was not popularly used until after the Protestant Reformation.


Arthur
Gender:  Masculine
Origin:  English, French, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, Welsh Mythology
Pronunciation: AHR-thər (English), ar-TUYR (French), AHR-toor (German), AHR-tur (Dutch)

Meaning & History
The meaning of this name is unknown.  It could be derived from the Celtic words artos "bear" and viros "man" or rigos "king." Arthur is the given name of the fabled hero in the Arthurian legends, who is known as a 6th century king of the Britons, leader of the Knights of the Round Table.  It is possible he was a real person, though it is uncertain.

This name became common in England during the Middle Ages, due to the Arthurian romances of the time.  In the 19th century, it enjoyed a surge of popularity as well.  Famous bearers of this name were German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), English mystery author and Sherlock Holmes Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930), and science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke (1917-2008).

Google

Evgenia
Gender:  Feminine
Origin:  Greek
Pronunciation: possibly eve-GEHN-nya, or eve-GEHN-nee-a

Meaning & History
Modern Greek form of Eugenia, which is a feminine form of Eugene, an English given name meaning "well born" of Greek origin.  Eugenia was the given name of a semi-legendary saint in the 3rd century who escaped persecution by disguising herself as a man.


***
I really like the name Jaron and am currently using it as the given name for one of my Elvish characters in a short story.  He's also in a larger novel-like story I'm writing, minor character.  I love the idea of tying all my fictional fantasy stories together!  It's a great way to think of character development and background history as well.  Writing short stories is quite useful, too, though I usually have a terrible time thinking of a good plot. Everything has been taken, already used!  I rely on my sister Ju for a bit of my plots, she's a good thinker in that area.

Posting names with their meanings and history has been great for me!  I love it, and hope this helps some of you other young writers.  For me, I usually think of a good name combo and my story develops from there.  Is that weird?  Perhaps.  It might not be the best way to think of a novel idea, discover an awesome plot, resolve conflicts, etc., but that's how my mind works.

There is a tale I wish to tell with the name Evgenia.  Long story short, Jenny and I were invited to go to Dollywood with a dear friend of ours and her parents.  After the park, they treated us we to a new restaurant (for me and Jen) called the Pottery Cafe, which is an awesome place to eat, by the way, and the name of our waitress was Evghenia, with an added h.  She had a distinct accent, though we couldn't tell where from.  We asked her how she pronounced her name and she told us, we were going to ask where she hailed from, but didn't get a chance.  Beautiful name, don'cha think?

Fairfarren, for now, my friends!
Please comment if you would like to see your name appear!

Blessings,
Sarah

Name definitions and history via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

Comments

  1. I know I'm like 6 years late to this post, but...I had to comment because I've been going through your 'What's in a Name?' posts. (I'm a fellow name collector:)

    Evgenia is actually a common Russian name pronounced yev-GEHN-ya. Evgenia Medvedeva is one of my favorite figure skaters, and that's where I first heard it. GORGEOUS name isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries! I'm so glad you were taking the time to browse. I'm still trying to figure out how to post link to all these names in a page (for easy access).

    It IS a gorgeous name! Thanks for commenting! I wouldn't have thought of pronouncing it that way, but that just seems to make it more beautiful. Love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…